Friday, August 1, 2008

Magic books

I love/live books. I am still trying to figure what my existance would be like should at some point in time I would not have access to books. It's almost become addictive. Not that i need to read them all the time; but the mere presence changes everything for me.

Hence, now that suddenly I seem to have lost all my interests in boys (note that its boys and not men; Chennai suddenly seems devoid of dateable men, and even the boys are few and far between. Sigh!) I have regained my pace with books. So I completed 2 pulp fiction novels, 1 anthology of Lithuanian, Slovakian and some other -ian fairy tales, one Henry James and now on to this book called Magic City that deals with racial and economic issues in early 1900s. Well, I do read almost everything, so long as they are well written and leave some effect. Hence I have started avoiding certain popular writers, partly because I am a snob, but mostly because their books have no soul. It hasn't taken me too long to understand that popular does not equal good, and thank heavens for that!

But I am enjoying Magic City. It written very well, and somehow, the irrationality and the mystique makes it all the more real.

Let me read, and maybe for a while I'll not miss anything, or anyone.

2 comments:

Jim Donahue said...

Best novel I've read in the last few years: Nicholas Christopher's "A Trip to the Stars."

Reminded me of a modern-day Dickens, but with "magical realism" elements a la Marquez.

A said...

Wow, I must try it sometime then!

If you do come back, please check the post on the turtles and if you think it's worth it, join the greenpeace campaign!

cheers!!!