Thursday, August 7, 2008

Rank Outsider!

It's a long time I am going through the motions of being a new hire and gosh it can be hard. Since morning I have managed to speak to just two folks. I am taking this as a lesson on onboarding new hires...just don't leave it to them to break the Ice!
 
PS - The nice lady next cube, just made me aware that I can't have the window seat with a view. It's been here and on lease to the boss, so she wants it back...So will keep you posted on where in the office grid do I fall. Reminds me of a blog query in my ex employer's website - Is there a pecking order by Tenurity? I had responded 'no', but looks like it actualy does! Lessons we learn!

3 comments:

Sun .. a Shining Star... said...

Duh ! Of course Teniority matters.

Go ahead - get the Org chart of your organisation and shoot emails to each one you are going to work with! Ask them out to lunch or a 1 hour meeting to understand what they do !! Show the prudes - you are "In their Face"

A said...

In their face!

Aah....how very very poetic!

or...well....my imagination these days is working on overdrive...and I should stop right now!

:D

The Sizzler! said...

personally, i don't think life should be made easy for new hires... i think going through the initial 'tough phase' is a part of the learning curve.

this is real life. why should organizations have to pander to every possible whim?! where does the individual step in to take responsibility?

again, every company likes to pretend that tenurity isn't an issue with them. however, in reality, tenurity does matter. put yourself in the old guy's shoes... would you appreciate a fresh kid off the block strut in and tell you what to do?

quite a quandary, isn't it? to me, the only way out in both cases is true-to-god diplomacy. nothing else may work.