Monday, July 5, 2010

Lavash or Hogwash!

Hogwash! I cried at the posh counter at Maison De Gourmet. If you are a foodie and In Chennai you could not have escaped this store. It is one of the few that will stock Fleur De Sel, EVOO, Balsamic, so you get the drift. I don't know much of how the business works , so have no comments about the mark ups. But I do know when you are being swindled.

Rs.150/pack for less than 200 grams of day old Lavash! For those who haven't got an idea of what I am talking , Lavash is a thin middle eastern bread, more like crackers, most times with a sprinkling of spices, like Zatar or seeds, and is made of Flour, Water, Shortening , and yeast. I use this on the Mezze or with Humus I am making a lot these days. So essentially, not very different from your basic bread, save its rolled, generally made in a Tandoor, but I suppose easily done in an oven too!

A, will be squirming in his seat (Psst- He's been baking, but will not show his breads here)! I know, they will price it according to the demand ...and supply, which is non existent in Chennai. But I think its time folks just waked out ..this is hogwash!!

Also - Scary was the complete lack of labeling and information on the product, including the price.

Some recipes from the blogosphere : A, Try some and let me know if this works well. I wish I had an oven!





1 comment:

A said...

err...we gotta talk....about the lavash!