Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Generation gaps

In a world that's forever changing, what are the chances you find someone with who you can spend the rest of your life together?

I see my mom and dad and I wonder, almost 30 years of being together through plenty of hardships right from financial instability to moving base to bringing up two brats; and to think that theirs was an arranged marriage wherein they did not even know one another. At least not well enough in my terms to get into a lifetime of committment. They met I think just once before their marriage!

And now that I am old enough to appreciate the differences in temper and character, I know that it must have taken more than just the bond of marital status to hold them together as they are held maybe this is just one more form of love that we, the young and the restless, in our haste refuse to acknowledge or appreciate. I would give up a lot to be the way my mom and dad are right now -- happy, and at peace.

The jump in generations is actually a rather queer thing. Perhaps it is the difference in outlook and perception, perhaps it is the difference in exposure and expectations from life, perhaps it is something different.

I wonder if at some point in time, the parents of gay guys would try an arranged gay marriage for their sons and daughters

6 comments:

The Sizzler! said...

this may sound really cliched, but i think i know exactly how you felt as you penned this post.

[warm hug] for you.

Asheesh said...

wonder if Gays often oblige their parents by marrying into opposite sex. I know a few who did.

A said...

I know of plenty gay guys who marry to oblige their parents. but mostly they get married because they can't quite muster the courage to oppose the pressure to get married.

B said...

Oh! If you do call mom, tell here I am missing her much much !

Happy Phantom said...

I feel the same way about my parents. And their relationship essentially is the benchmark for marriage for me.......the reason I respect the institution so much...but also the reason I wanna stay away from it.

sidarth said...

i think thru the generations perspectives/definitions on rships might change ... but the ultimate need "peace and quiet" remains the same